Saturday, December 24, 2011

Playing the Field

Here's a interesting nugget from NPR ombudsman Edward Schumacher-Matos in an article called Is NPR Doing Too Many Stories About Catholicism?:

The complaints brought me up short. I am used to complaints today about NPR's coverage related to Muslims, but to say that too much attention was being paid to Catholics seemed to harken back to another era and my youth in the South. Anti-Catholic sentiment was high then. I am myself Catholic, though it is more nominal than anything. I struggle with whether any religion makes sense, though I wish I could easily believe. I have experimented with Episcopalianism, Buddhism and Judaism. Regular readers of this column with know that my father was Jewish, as was my maternal grandfather.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to describe his Catholicism as "nominal."