Thursday, January 10, 2013

Missing the C

Robert from Michigan e-mails:

I'm sure there are those of your acquaintance who watched the Mythical National Championship Monday night so this is for them:

1. On 9-1-2012, Alabama beat Michigan, 41-14. On 1-7-2013, Alabama defeated Notre Dame, 42-14. More than four months and hardly any improvement.

2. What's the difference between ND's football team and Princess Diana? The Irish get crushed after they come out of the tunnel.

3. How many ND players are needed to change a tire? Only one, unless it's a blowout, then the whole team shows up.

The cynic in me says it's better to have a mediocre season than to participate in the MNC, since the abuse you take for losing is so overwhelming. It's similar to those who participated in the Southeast Asia War Games (1962-74) and came away with a only a silver medal.


Monday's BCS National "Championship" Game once again confirmed what a sham college football is. The bowl games are a joke. Unless you have a team playing in one, there is no incentive to watch anything but the National "Championship" Game and those games have offered little in terms of drama of late.

Going back a dozen years, if you compare the quality of the game and entertainment value delivered between the BCS National "Championship" Games and the Super Bowls it's not even close. Because when you have a playoff, you have a much better chance of getting an ultimate contest between two teams playing well at that time instead of teams that might have peaked much earlier in the season and then coasted into the BCS because of a softer late season schedule.

And don't even get me started on the ridiculous gap between the end of the regular season and the National "Championship" Game.

I like football and I'll watch regular season (and especially playoff) NFL games even if my favorite team isn't playing. But I watch very little college football and when I do tune in, like I did on Monday night, I'm almost invariably disappointed in what I see.

Get back to me when you get a playoff system, a REAL playoff system. Until that happens, college football games are something that only an alumni of the schools playing should consider worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment