Monday, June 17, 2002

maybe this world cup thing ain't so bad after all...Part II

Thanks to the US soccer squad's 2-0 victory over Mexico today I am the not all that proud winner of a team Mexico jersey. One of the guys who works at our plant in Chihuahua, Mexico talked me into a bet last Thursday when it looked like a US-Mexico showdown was likely. The winner would receive a jersey from the other team.

I'm thankful for a US victory just for the simple fact that I would have no idea where I could even pick up such an item or even if they sell em' here. He called me today quite despondent about the result. Apparently he stayed up until nearly 4:00am last night watching the game and so was exhausted as well as depressed. I hardly had the heart to tell me that for the most part the reaction here in the US to the World Cup continues to be the same. No one cares. Across Mexico people are holding their heads in their hands in damn near a state of mourning and most Americans don't even know that a game was played today. This just keeps getting better by the day. Hun you're next.

No comments:

Post a Comment