Tuesday, January 13, 2009

All In A Day's Work

Joe Carter names the three most influential conservative media sources--a book, a magazine, and a radio show--over the last forty years. His choices may surprise you:

- Paul Harvey News and Comment

- Readers Digest

- The Boy Scout Handbook


I was pretty skeptical about his argument until I realized that I had in fact been influenced by all three of these sources while growing up. My parents were avid radio listeners so we got a healthy dose of Harvey. They also subscribed to RD, which I often read. And yes, I was a Boy Scout so I was quite familiar with the Handbook.

While none of them would necessarily be considered overtly conservative, they no doubt had an impact on the formation of conservative views. I doubt that there are any three conservative media sources today that you could say are nearly as influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment