Thursday, May 06, 2010

A High Glass Joint

The Summit Beer Blog has a good post on the debate over whether you should drink your beer in a glass or a bottle?:

To many, a glass is just a glass, something that holds your beverage so that you don’t have to sip from your cupped hands. And to many, a beer is consumed straight from the bottle. For some, little mountains tell them when their beer is ready to be drank, straight up from the wide mouth can. All of this is just fine and dandy for some, but for me, I just can’t abide.

Now, I know that the bottle is very well built to be put straight to the lips. I know that sometimes you just gotta dig right into the cooler and drink that beer down, cold as ice, the bottle freezing your fingers. If a lawn chair is around, typically so is the bottle. A camp fire, a lawn mower, a softball game-ditto. This all makes sense.

However, I entreat you to look beyond that bottle. And, I don’t want to blow your mind here, but maybe get rid of the bottle in some of those aforementioned situations. Ok, maybe not the softball game or the lawn mowing, but campfire and lawn chair? For sure! If you have ever been to my house, you know that I will allow you to drink straight from the bottle, but I will struggle mightily with your decision. “Are you sure? I don’t mind dirtying the glass. Here, come look at my collection. Go ahead, choose your own. No, I definitely don’t mind you taking it into the backyard.”


Actually I'm not even sure if there is any real debate here at all. Unless circumstance absolutely will not permit it, beer belongs in a glass. Period. End of story. Like the author of this post, I have many varieties of beer glasses on hand at home and I'm more than happy to have my guests use them. In fact, if I can help it, I usually make sure that every beer poured in my home ends up in a glass. Sure, it's a little more of a hassle and a little more work cleaning up. But it's well worth it to enjoy beer the way it's meant to be consumed. Anything else would be uncivilized.