Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The High Price of Low Flow

Got an e-mail today from CenterPoint Energy offering a free low flow showerhead to help save energy. When I clicked the link I found this:

CenterPoint Energy is offering free, low flow showerheads and faucet aerators to residential natural gas customers with natural gas water heaters in Arkansas and in Texas communities of Texarkana, Wake Village, Nash and Red Water. These FREE, easy-to-install low flow showerheads and faucet aerators are designed to reduce your hot water use, with no sacrifice in water pressure.

First off, I live a long way from Texas, Arkansas, or Texarkana (or Arkanxas for that matter). Secondly, I’m highly skeptical of the claim that these wonderful energy savings wrought by the low flow showerhead would indeed not require a sacrifice in water pressure.

From the Seinfeld episode The Showerhead:

Jerry's apartment. Kramer walks in, his trademark 'high hair' is flat.

Kramer: Jerry? Jerry!

Jerry walks in from the back room, his hair is also flat.

Kramer: Wha, you too?

Jerry: Yeah!

Kramer: These showers are horrible. There's no pressure, I can't get the shampoo out of my hair.

Jerry: Me either.

Kramer: If I don't have a good shower I am not myself. I feel weak and ineffectual. I'm not Kramer.

Jerry: You? What about me? I got the Tonight Show tonight. I'm gonna have to shower in the dressing room.

Kramer (leaving): Aw.

Jerry: Where are you going?

Kramer: I gotta find another shower.




A Commando 450? Now, that I could go for...