Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Revenge Of The Nerds?

David Brooks, author of the witty Bobos in Paradise , casts the current anti-SUV campaign in the light of the classic "Geeks versus Jocks" battle in this amusing piece at OpinionJournal.com. Personally I'm not a hufe fan of sport utes myself but when I hear the hysterical screeching against them I find myself thinking along the same lines as Brooks:

I don't own an SUV, but now that they've been identified as the locus of evil, I'm thinking of getting one. And if I do, I figure I might as well let the inner wolf out for a rampage and get the most obnoxious SUV I can find.

My SUV, assuming Hummer comes out with a model for those who find the current ones too cramped, will look something like the Louisiana Superdome on wheels. It'll guzzle so much gas as I walk out to my driveway there will be squads of Saudi princes gaping and applauding. It'll come, when I buy it, with little Hondas and Mazdas already embedded in the front grillwork. Inside I'll install video screens so that impressionable youngsters can play Grand Theft Auto on the way to weekly NRA meetings. And there will be room in the back for tobacco lobbyists nibbling on french fries and endangered prawns.


I might add an extra large beer cooler within easy reach of the driver's seat for those long road trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment