Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Brown Bags And B.S.

Every morning my company's Today's Events e-mail message hits my inbox. Most mornings I give it nothing more than a cursory glance before dropping it right into the recycle bin. The other day, however, something disturbing caught my eye. Next month's Lunch Movie, offered for the entire staff's enjoyment, will be An Inconvenient Truth.

Leaving aside the very, very, very thin thread of relevance this film has to my profession I felt that showing such a nakedly politically motivated movie in the workplace to be...well...rather nakedly politically motivated and, therefore, quite inappropriate in this setting.

So, feeling inspired by the Elder's brave reactionary stand earlier this year I fired off a quick e-mail to the Today's Events editor:
I think in the interest of putting another side of the global warming issue out there that the documentary film "The Great Global Warming Swindle" should also be offered as a lunch movie. Who can I contact to see if this is a possibility?
The response I got today was more than I expected but it was also quite dismissive without being outright rude. I'm reluctant to publish the entire thing as the person who wrote it could probably have me fired before the day is out (and I happen to be really enjoying my current job) but the gist of it was "We'll talk it over and get back to you".

I'll keep you all posted as to when TGGWS is given its day in the sun, so to speak. I'm not holding my breath and I advise you against doing so as well. That is, unless the smog out there becomes too much to handle, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment