Friday, October 30, 2009

Nixed In Nanjing

In my four previous trips to China I never had much of an issue accessing the internet. So I was surprised to discover that when I was in Nanjing this past week a number of sites were blocked at our hotel. The banned list included, but was likely not limited to:

Blogger
Twitter
Facebook
You Tube

In addition, Google's search functionality was limited as the results for some words and phrases were blocked. Lovers of freedom everywhere will be happy to know that the bastion of freedom known as Fraters Libertas was still available to the Chinese masses yearning to breath free.

By the end of the week, I was able to come up with a work around to reach these dangerous and subversive threats to PRC hegemony, but for three or four days there my dissent was definitely being crushed.

2 comments: