Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Now That's What I Call Praying

In this era of apparently ascendant secular, libertine, and Democrat party values, it is easy for those dedicated to pro life positions to get discouraged. Even formerly trusted, bedrock institutions like Notre Dame have gone wobbly. I'm sure many have begun to doubt the potential for turning back this tide. Maybe started to wonder whether continued dissent from the dominant cultural mindset is worth effort and personal cost.

The prayer below was handed out on a small yellow card after Mass in Stillwater on Sunday. I find it spot-on in its tone and themes and especially effective in inspiring an essential ingredient for improbable victory, the will to succeed.

For Faith

Lord, give me faith ... faith in the pro-life cause. Let me believe that this is the most important issue of our time. Let me believe that with Your help we will succeed. Let me remember that faith can move even the mountains of legislative intrigues, unjust courts, and the growing selfishness of American society.

Give me faith in myself. Let me believe even my small efforts to save Your children are important. Help me never to apologize for my convictions, but rather to be happy to share with others my belief in the sanctity of all human life.

Give me faith in You. You are the author of all life. You know and love every human being. How You must weep for Your children who die and for Your other children who kill them! Help me to believe the power of Your grace will eventually triumph over every obstacle.

Amen.

Amen indeed. It even inspires a little elevation to boot.

Cursory Googling on the text show it popping up elsewhere in a limited fashion. No indication of the source or author though. That's just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment