Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Last Week in Gatekeeping

Disturbing news out of Los Angeles. A correction from the Los Angeles Times:

In a Sunday Image article about hyaluronic acid, a skin-care ingredient and injectable filler, Dr. Nowell Solish was quoted as saying that if people change their minds after receiving an injection, there is an anecdote. It should have quoted him as saying there is an antidote.

Patient: Doc, ya got to do something about my hyaluronic acid treatment! Something must have gone wrong. It feels like my skin is on fire! I can take it any more! Help me! Oh Gawd!

Dr. Solish: There's nothing I can do about your symptoms, but they remind me of a funny story ....

------------------------------------------

The above LA Times correction was featured in last week's This Week in Gatekeeping on NARN, First Team. However, the amusing scenario afterward did not make it. Just before I delivered it (or at least a variation of it), my co-host John Hinderaker broke in with a subject change. It's available for your listening pleasure via the podcast. You can hear my heart break at about the 45:20 mark.

To be clear, I do not blame him. He didn't know it was coming. Probably thought I was done and/or floundering. Plus, he had to keep his eye on the clock, as it was his turn to run the show from the prime position, and we were close to the end of the hour. And during my turns in the prime position, I have no doubt that I have stepped on carefully prepared punch lines from John, Chad, JB, the Nihilist, Atomizer and any others I've shared the mic with over the years. It is a hazard of the job.

However, that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Granted it's not THAT funny. But the contrast between antidote and anecdote, in the context of injectible acid skin treatment, was the *only* prepared material I looked forward to delivering in advance of last week's show. I was snickering just thinking about it on the drive down to the station. And then, after two long hours of broadcasting and cleanly delivering the set-up, a nanosecond before getting it out, the rug gets pulled out from under me. It's haunted me ever since.

But through the magic of Internet blog posting, it's all out there (up there) now. Cosmic balance has been restored. Now, I can sleep.

UPDATE: Listening to the podcast, I'm reminded that the reason for John Hinderaker's interruption was to correct the name of the band whose song he claims he sang in the shower every day for years. It was Blackhawk, not Ricochet. And the name of the song was "Every Once In A While."

It's also clear that he avoided the questions I asked him. What was that song about? Why did it obsess him the shower for all of those years? Maybe we can divine some meaning by studying the lyrics.

We go now to John Hinderaker's bathroom, circa 2003. It's early-morning. The rest of the house is dark. The only light to be seen is an eerie red glow from the overhead heat lamp. All is quiet except for the soft spatter of water against tile. Then, through the thick veil of steam billowing around the room from his characteristic and decadent 2 hour shower session, a familiar voice cries out:

When the moon is bright
On a Saturday night
There's a thousand stars in the sky
On a winding road her memory flows
She'll face the fact She wants to go back

She opens her heart to an old memory
She closes her eyes and she smiles
Just ask her if she ever still
Thinks about me
She'll say "Every once in a while,
Every once in a while"

She tries to forget
But she hasn't yet
Not a single day goes by
That feeling again reminds of when
I held her tight, it felt so right

She opens her heart to an old memory
She closes her eyes and she smiles
Just ask her if she ever still
Thinks about me
She'll say "Every once in a while,
Every once in a while"

And every once in a while
She calls my name out loud
And when she thinks about us
She'll face the fact
She wants to go back

She opens her heart to an old memory
She closes her eyes and she smiles
Just ask her if she ever still
Thinks about me
She'll say "Every once in a while,
Every once in a while"


Yes, it's all making sense now.