Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Dream Deferred

The sad story of Sabrina Walker:

For the first time since she erroneously received a $2.6 million check from the state and went on a spending spree that included cars and jewelry, Sabrina Walker told her story Thursday, tearfully saying she never imagined herself in court for a criminal sentencing.

"Indeed this was a mistake. I didn't create this," she said. "I didn't swindle the state. I didn't trick anyone. I have suffered greatly from the moment this has been done. My dreams have been shattered."


I feel her pain. Who among us hasn't dreamed of receiving a misrouted government check for $2.6 million and immediately going on a spending spree in a desperate race to consume it before the error is caught? It's the American Dream. The New American Dream, anyway, since government backed subprime loans made luxury home ownership a given in this country.

Speaking of getting a windfall based on nothing but irresponsible decisions, too bad Sabrina wasn't a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac customer. Assuming that House vote goes through tomorrow, she'd still be living the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment