Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ready for Some Real Change?

From the Voice of America (Urdu) documentary series, Muslims' America, an interview with Rep. Keith Ellison.  Transcribed excerpt:
VOA: Is there any possibility that I might be talking to the future first Muslim-American President of the United States, keeping in view that 2020 is not that far away?

ELLISON: Only God knows that. But let me just say this, I love the job I'm doing and I believe that my goal is to be the best representative of the 5th Congressional District of Minnesota I can possibly be. And that's all I'm worried about right now.
VOA: And that means that you might run?

ELLISON: It means that I'm not making any plans to run. I'm just trying to keep my eye on the ball. Like, do they play cricket there in Pakistan?

VOA: They love cricket.

ELLISON: Well, see, if you're going to try and hit that ball with the bat, you've got to watch that ball, right? You don't want to look past the ball, you want to look at the ball, right? So I'm just keeping my eye on the ball.

VOA: I'll take that as a 'yes'.

ELLISON: (laughter)
Either Keith Ellison is trying out for Pakistan's national cricket team or he's considering running for President.   Move over Rod Blagojevich!

That interview is not positive affirmation perhaps, but the dancing around, avoiding the question, and self aggrandizement is NOT a denial either. If Ellison wanted to douse speculation, the only proper response would have been something like this, from George Costanza, on asking his doctor about a suspicious white spot on his face:
GEORGE: When I asked him if it was cancer, he didn't give me a "get outta here". That's what I wanted to hear: "Cancer? Get outta here!"

JERRY: Well, maybe he doesn't have a "get outta here" kind of personality.

GEORGE: How could you be a doctor and not say "get outta here"? It should be part of the training at medical school: "Cancer? Get outta here!" "Go home! What are you crazy? It's a little test. It's nothing. You're a real nut. You know that?"
Me, President?  Get outta here!  Go home!  What are you crazy?   Until we hear that from Ellison, I don't want to hear any more lefty journalists in town implying Michele Bachmann is the most delusional member of our Congressional delegation.

2 comments:

  1. That interview is not positive affirmation perhaps, but the dancing around, avoiding the question, and self aggrandizement is NOT a denial either.
    what is health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for amazing coupons and deals to get extra savings while shopping online. Visit PromoOcodes and find great deals there.

    ReplyDelete