Friday, May 05, 2006

Daddies Don't Let Your Daughters Grow Up To Be Hoochies

My wife sent me an e-mail detailing an experience she had today:

Went to the MOA [Mall of America] to underwater world, Nathaniel was looking intently at all the fish. I think he liked it. We went to the book store and bought a couple more books for his library and went to Starbuck's and hung out for a while. We, then, went for one more QUICK walk thru underwater world.

On the way out I noticed about 5 pre-teen girls (12ish, MAYBE 13) walking in a group together, 2 had jeans on, 1 had a long skirt with some gold metallic accessories (belt, purse) and 2 of them had VERY short black skirts on, just covering the tushy. Anyway, I was walking towards them and noticed this man in his late 40's, early 50's walking by himself. I thought immediately that this guy seemed a little creepy. The girls went up the escalator and the man followed but kept dropping behind until he was about half the escalator length away from them and almost bumped into me. I dropped a step behind him and watched him intently. He was trying to look up the pre-teen's skirts.

I was staring at him the whole time while he was trying to be subtle about trying to look up the skirts, but not subtle enough. I kept watching him and he finally realized I knew what he was doing. When the girls reached the top of the escalator, they went up the next escalator. The guy paused, I kept giving him a "you are so disgusting" look and he paused on the floor we reached and pretended to be looking down at the "Fiesta de Mayo" occurring on the first floor. I walked around and turned back to see if he was still there and he literally disappeared.

I kinda hung out for a minute or two see if I could see him around before I walked out to the car. I wanted to follow him but thought better with Nathaniel. But I wanted to make sure he wasn?t following me since I knew he was a pervy. When I knew all was clear, I left to go to the parking lot and put Nathaniel in the car, went in the backseat with him and locked the doors while I buckled him in. Then, I mistakenly made my car alarm thing go off so I just left it on until I was done buckling Nathaniel in. Nathaniel thought the noise was cool.

Thank goodness we have a boy...the thought of my pre-teen walking around and a dirty old man watching her would make me want to poke the guy's eyes out...I wanted to poke them out today and I didn't know who the girls were.

If we have a girl...she is wearing a huge sack until she is 21!


I often wonder what in the world parents are thinking when they let their young daughters leave the house wearing clothes more suited for prostitution than play. Sure this guy might have leered at the girls even if they had been dressed more respectably. But why allow your daughters to draw attention to themselves unnecessarily?

Some women are probably simply naïve about this and don't understand the nature of the beast. But dads? You know what lust lurks in the heart (among other places) of men. And you know, or you damn well should know by now, that, while most men are decent, there are some very bad guys out there with evil intentions.

Your young daughter will likely not appreciate or understand your insistence that she not go out looking like a junior high jezebel, but one of your main roles as a father it to protect your family, not pimp it.

No comments:

Post a Comment