Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?

Today's Wall Street Journal had a blurb on a poll on which candidate Americans would invite to Thanksgiving dinner (sub req):

The latest Quinnipiac University poll has Sen. Hillary Clinton in the lead -- for Thanksgiving.

With 27% of the vote, Mrs. Clinton is the presidential candidate most Americans would want at their dinner table tomorrow, according to a survey of 1,636 voters. Sen. Barack Obama was next at 24%, and Rudy Giuliani came in at 22%. Down the line, Sen. John McCain of Arizona received 17%, followed by Fred Thompson with 14%, John Edwards at 13% and 7% for Mitt Romney. "Both Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain do better as dinner guests than they do as candidates," observed Maurice Carroll, director of the polling institute.


You have got to be kidding. No matter what you make think of the merits of Hillary as POTUS, I can't believe that people would really want to share their Thanksgiving dinner with her.

"What do you think of the turkey Mrs. Clinton?"

"Thanks for asking. Let me start by saying that it's good. Not to say that last year's Thanksgiving turkey wasn't good because it was too. In fact, I can't really say if this turkey is better than any other turkey I've had because I've enjoyed them all so much. Let me add that I appreciate the hard work and dedication of turkey farmers across America who all do so much to make this holiday special. In my thirty-five years of experience with turkey..."

"Uh...pass the gravy?"

While Obama would probably be better company than Hillary, the one guy that I would invite without hesitation is John McCain. I don't always agree with him on politics, but he definitely would have the best stories to tell.

And there's also this from the story:

Women were also asked which candidate they would rather have baby-sitting their children. Mrs. Clinton was again the top choice with 33% of the vote, followed by Mr. Edwards with 18% and Mr. Giuliani with 15%.

Talk about child abuse. Personally, I wouldn't want any of those three watching my kids. Hillary doesn't exactly strike me as the maternal type, Edwards would probably have them suing their parents by the end of the night, and Rudy would scare the hell out of them with tales of the horrors of New York City before he took over.

The best bet would probably be Romney. No drinking on the job. No swearing and I imagine an early bedtime. The only danger would be that you might come home to find a "Gone Baptizin'" sign on the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment