Friday, November 02, 2007

Macy's Charade

My wife is not as passionate about sports and politics as I and so you don't often find her going off on stem-winding rants on those subject. However, if you get in her wheelhouse--in this case shopping and shoes--you can expect her to swing away freely. And make contact:

You know when Marshall Fields was bought out by Macy's I, as well as probably most Minnesotans, wasn't very happy. The first time I saw their layout, I was again disappointed....the price checks gave it the feeling of being cheaper.

But as months passed, I thought I needed to embrace change and accept it. So, Saturday I was there and wanted a specific pair of shoes. When a shoe sales associate finally got to me, I asked for my size, after which he disappeared for about ten minutes. When he returned, I was advised that they didn't have my size in the color I wanted, but he said that, "You can try on the shoe in a different color in your size and we could see if we can get the correct color from a different store."

Well, I tried on the shoe and it was a perfect fit so I advised the sales associate, that "Yes, please find the shoe at a different store". Well he was on the phone with other stores for at least ten minutes and he finally said that he could take my information down and, when he finds the shoes, mail them to me. So I gave him my Macy's card number, my address and phone number, and a coupon for $20.00 off.

Today I received the shoes and they charged me $19.00 to deliver them. "Sh-T" I thought! I called Macy's and I explained that I was not aware that I would be charged for delivery and added that when they were Marshall Fields, a similar thing occurred and they mailed out the shoes to my house with no charge, so I had assumed their policy was the same. She said they don't have free delivery unless you have a certain color Macy's card, which I don't have (I am sure I have the base model). I added, that if I knew there was a delivery charge I would have had them just delivered to the store and I would have picked them up. She advised that they don't do that either....Yeah, great customer service!

Macy's S-CKS!


I don't know what Macy's demographic sweet spot is, but I'm pretty sure they don't want to be losing customers like my wife. Another example of the high cost of low service.

No comments:

Post a Comment