Thursday, November 01, 2007

Treat Upgrade

Memo to current (and future neighbors):

Next year, it's be nice if you could work Reese's Peanut Butter Cups into your Halloween mix. They happen to be my wife's..er...son's, yeah son's favorite and the Halloween haul just isn't complete without them. Remember, it's all about the children.

UPDATE-- Tim from Colorado adds:

After my three kids returned from their plundering last night, my wife had them all lay out their candy and pick which items they wanted to personally keep in a quart-size baggie of their own; the remainder goes into a big community bowl. My ten year-old son reminded my wife that before they could divvy up their loot, "Dad has to come pick out his candy-tax." I never called it a "candy-tax", but I guess it is; I wait for them to get home, then I get to pick out a couple of my favorites, with mutual approval.

I guess in the strictest sense, I behave like the government: I do not do any of the work collecting the candy, but to re-enter the house and receive the benefits of security, warmth, food, and shelter, the kids must surrender to me my take off the top.

On one hand, I'm so ashamed.

On the other hand, I have succeeded in teaching my kids to recognize a bad deal and call it such when they see one.


In the strictest sense, I'm not sure if that's an apt comparison. Are kids really working for the candy or operating more like the Mafia and shaking down the neighborhood for protection money?

But even if it's not perfect, I think it's still a fine lessons for the childrens. However, in reality Tim should be taking around 40% of his kids' candy without allowing them to have any say in it. Then he and his wife should eat some of the confiscated booty, give some away to the neighbors, and throw the rest away. If the kids protest at all, he should call them greedy, threaten to take more candy away, and send them to their rooms. Tough love.

No comments:

Post a Comment