Wednesday, July 07, 2010

There Are Plenty Of Exits For Everyone

I've tried to watch this year's World Cup. I really have. In fact, since today's game between Spain and Germany was one of only two remaining World Cup contests until 2014 I told myself I was going to watch all 90 minutes...plus whatever time the referees arbitrarily decided to tack on to each half.

I didn't make it through the first half without nodding off which, surprisingly, ended with both teams tied at zero goals apiece. By the time I had awoken, Spain had scored a goal and were well on their way to a 1-0 drubbing of the hated Germans.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone their little pleasures. Some people actually say that my chosen sport to watch, baseball, is dreadfully dull as well. I vehemently disagree but to each his own, I guess.

I won't bore you here with my lists of reasons why baseball is superior to soccer in every way because, frankly, they are self evident. I will, however, share with you the following clip from The Simpsons which pretty much sums up all that is mockable about soccer. Pay particular attention to the action scenes starting at around 1:30 which are almost indistinguishable from the live action I was able to stay awake for today.