Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I, uh...Figure It's Something

Scene from the Seinfeld episode The Sponge:

PHARMACIST: Can I help you?

ELAINE (with little hope): Yeah, do you have any Today sponges? I know they're off the market, but...

PHARMACIST: Actually, we have a case left.

ELAINE (excited): A case! A case of sponges? I mean, uh...a case. Huh. Uh...how many come in a case?

PHARMACIST: Sixty.

ELAINE: Sixty?! Uh...well, I'll take three.

PHARMACIST: Three.

ELAINE: Make it ten.

PHARMACIST: Ten?

ELAINE: Twenty sponges should be plenty.

PHARMACIST: Did you say twenty?

ELAINE: Yeah, twenty-five sponges is just fine.

PHARMACIST: Right. So, you're set with twenty-five.

ELAINE: Yeah. Just give me the whole case and I'll be on my way.


Story from the New York Daily News:

The recent disappearance of a popular tampon brand is really cramping the style of city women.

Now, that is interesting writing!

Drugstore shelves have been mysteriously empty of o.b. nonapplicator tampons since late fall, leaving the feminine hygiene product's devotees puzzled and peeved.

And bloated, irritable, moody, depressed...

The popular product is in such short supply that eBay users are bidding up to $76 for three packs, which usually sell for just $8.79 a pack.

And loyalists are taking to blogs and Twitter to figure out where their beloved o.b. tampons might be.


Okay, so it's not a perfect example of imitation and in this case, it's actually Seinfeld resembling life and then life resembling Seinfeld years later, but it's still too good not to note.