Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Winter Classic

Having actually attended a Winter Classic (Red Wings* @ Blackhawks at the Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field) and Hockey Day Minnesota 2010 in Hermantown, I must take issue with the dismissive musings below. Remember, Minnesota is the state that cancels hockey games (indoor games!!!) because of snow. So take the criticism for what it's worth. Maybe it's because I was not raised playing hockey - outdoors or in - but attending the outdoor games was and is a real treat for me. There's no denying the excitement of these events, so while certain hard core hockey fans may not appreciate the spectacle, many of us do. And in the long run, it's good for the game. Besides, haven't the Bowl Games kind of lost their luster? The BCS Computer Championship Bowl is January 7? Honestly, they've ruined New Years. Thank God for hockey.

And $900 for a pair of tickets? Sounds about right.

As to today's game, if it occurs, not sure I can get too excited. I have a burning hatred of Cindy Rosby and the Pens that burns with the power of ten thousand suns. The Caps? Eh. I'd watch if I thought Ovie really had a chance to beat Cindy. Not likely.

So I'll see you all in Moorhead, Minnesota for Hockey Day Minnesota 2011?


*I do believe our Dear Leader refers to the Wings as the Hated Red Wings?