Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Sound Of Silence

I know a good fight when I see one. This one is so good that I can no more resist jumping headfirst into it myself than I can a full half gallon bottle of Bombay Sapphire.

That's why I found myself Googling our local rag's editorial page editor, Jim Boyd, rather than addressing the invitations for my upcoming wedding. I'm sure that the lovely Atomizerette will understand.

What I found, via an old Matt Welch post, was this nugget penned by Boyd back in 2002 regarding some negative criticism directed his way:

I'm not talking disagreement, which is a given in the business we're in; I'm talking outright attacks on our integrity, our intelligence, our professionalism. It's wearing, and that, it seems to me, is its goal: To intimidate into submission -- or at least into submissive silence.

Now, is it just me or is Boyd decrying the same sort of tactics he used in this piece published by the Star Tribune this past Sunday attacking Powerline's Hinderaker and Johnson?

The only difference in this case is that the "submissive silence" is now coming from the 800 pound gorilla holding the truncheon.

And the silence is deafening.

No comments:

Post a Comment