Friday, August 06, 2004

Traffic Report

Earlier this week celebrity blogger Bill Tuomala was wondering about the influx of traffic he's been receiving from Google, via the search string "First word of Wooly Bully".

I figured it was a just one of those random things all blogs experience. With tens of millions of users around the world submitting billions of queries into search engines, a few hits are bound to be shifted your way for bizarre reasons. Fraters Libertas gets lots of monthly traffic for logical things like Northern Alliance Radio, Rudy Boschwitz, Expose the Ink Stained Wanker, and Laura Billings. But also appearing in our logs are non sequitur classics like:

paid smoking test studies in Omaha NE
Shania Twain leather
Quiznos Rats

... and literally dozens of queries related to aspects of the cinematic classic Dumb and Dumber.

So, Wooly Billy Tuomala getting traffic from the song Wooly Bully didn't surprise me. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the logic of Internet traffic patterns. Or so I thought.

Last night I was settling down for a pre-slumber session with this week's Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle (unfortunately, electronic access available on subscription basis only), when I read this little eye opener:

17 ACROSS: First word of Wooly Bully

So, Bill's traffic wasn't so random at all. Instead, he's become a primary reference source for readers of the country's newspaper of record. Google ranks Bill sixth for that particular clue. Amazing. And I'm proud to say, I know that dude.

I'm now hoping Bill can help me with another couple of matters:

44 ACROSS: Record Executive Gotti

82 DOWN: Repeated interjection in the Rolling Stones' "Miss You"
(FYI, I already checked "unhunh hunh unh hunha hunh" and it doesn't fit.)

And most vexing:

39 DOWN: Bill: Fr.

What is French for Bill? Please let me know so I can finish this puzzle. And so I can get some traffic generating topics to write about next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment