Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Must See TV

I don't know how he pulled this off, but our old friend Greg Wallace (from What Attitude Problem?) will be appearing on the Daily Show with John Stewart tonight. He'll be discussing .... you guessed it ... the "gayification" of NASCAR. I have no idea what that means, but I predict at least one Dick Trickle joke.

Knowing Greg as I do (which is barely), this has a chance to be hilarious. His email promotion for the show raises expectations further:

There comes a time in one's life when we all do things we wish we regretted. This is one such time. To fully appreciate this, please tune into The Daily Show tonight on Comedy Central to see yours truly get his 15 seconds of fame/humiliation.

I guess it was one of those things where I didn't want to wake up five years down the road and wonder what it would have been like if I had said no. They are doing a spot on the "gayification" of NASCAR (don't ask). They found me through my blog last January and finally got me up to Chicago a few weeks ago to shoot the spot. Fortunately, I have no children to whom I must explain this, just my two dogs. My sense is they will love me anyway. I don't watch television, so I'll simply have to see the clip when the show sends me a tape, which they've promised to do.

Samantha Bee interviewed me and she was very nice off-camera. It's a game to them. We'll see. The good thing about this (I keep telling myself) is that our culture is so shallow and attention-deficit that the day after tomorrow no one will remember that it even happened. And of course no one at church will admit to even watching the show, so it's not as though my rep is totally trashed.


Oh, I'm sure it will be fine. If not, it promises to be great TV. And thanks to the Internet, reviews of his performance will be around for centuries. It's one small humiliation for Greg, one giant leap backward for his entire line of descendents for generations. I can't wait. Catch it all on Comedy Central tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment