Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Who Moved My Newspaper?

Today marks the introduction of the new and improved Wall Street Journal. The redesign in part reflects the changing demands of newspaper readers, but a bigger factor is no doubt the cost savings from smaller pages and font styles that make the paper easier to produce.

My verdict after one day? Meh. Some of it I like, some I don't. The smaller paper is easier to read (especially on the can) which is a plus. But some of the new colors and graphics are a little too close to USA Today fluff for my tastes.

The Journal has always had a distinct and serious look that projected gravitas. If you saw someone in public reading the WSJ, you automatically granted them a certain amount of respect (the exact opposite of what occurs when you notice someone reading the editorial pages of the Star Tribune). I'm not sure if the new design still carries the same intellectual heft.

Overall, I'd say I was neutral on the changes at this point. Only time will tell if I warm to the new WSJ or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment