Friday, June 29, 2007

Barnes & Bendover

Usually I do all my book shopping through Amazon or better yet get books for free as part of promotional efforts. I can't remember the last time I went to a bricks and mortar store and bought a book.

Today, I remembered why I've avoided them. I strolled over to the local branch of a large national book chain during lunch and picked up a couple of books to give as gifts. The jackals fed well as I paid full price for both. Full frickin' price.

I almost forget how painful that is. The idea of paying 33% more for a book just because I was picking it up at the store today rather than ordering it online was not easy to swallow. Sure, I'm paying for the convenience, but a FULL THIRD MORE seems to be approaching any reasonable definition of gouging. When are the politicians in Washington going to wake up and do something about Big Books?

No comments:

Post a Comment