Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Big Hitter, The Lama

When I saw this headline this morning, it gave me pause:

Dalai Lama threatens to step down

Step down? Can you really just quit being The Lama? I mean, this is something that's ordained, right? You can't just wake up one day and decide you're going to hang up your robes. "It's been a nice run as The Lama, but now I'm looking for something different. I've always thought about going to law school..."

Needless to say, a bit further into the story proper clarification was provided:

Later, one of his top aides clarified the Dalai Lama's comments.

"If the Tibetans were to choose the path of violence he would have to resign because he is completely committed to nonviolence," Tenzin Takhla said. "He would resign as the political leader and head of state, but not as the Dalai Lama. He will always be the Dalai Lama."


So he's got that goin' for him, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment