Monday, March 10, 2008

Private School Confidential

Trent from St. Paul writes in regarding the public school/private school debate we had last week regarding the state high school hockey tournament:

First off, I love you guys and check your site at least several times a day. You present the perfect mix of non-suspect politics, sports, and alcohol. especially appreciate the recent links to hockey fights -- keep 'em coming!

I just wanted to comment on your hockey tourney observations. I grew up in Woodbury, but attended Hill-Murray High School. As a youngster, I played hockey in the Woodbury Athletic Association (our teams always *ahem* sucked). When my big sister went to Hill-Murray (she is 8 years older than I), I knew where I wanted to play. Aside from being Catholic and wishing to attend Catholic schools, I was attracted to Hill-Murray -- and I know this is a revelation for some, so hold on -- because the hockey program was so successful. I know, I know, heady stuff for a kid who dreamed of playing in the NHL.

Was I recruited? Yes -- when I was in 8th grade playing for the Woodbury Athletic Association traveling bantam team, I was approached by a Woodbury coach at the time (who I will not name). He asked me to reconsider my decision to go to Hill-Murray and guaranteed me a spot on the Woodbury varsity team as a freshman, even dangling the promise of a letter jacket in front of my slightly zitty adolescent face.


My response? Why would I want to play varsity for a school with such a terrible hockey program where no college or NHL recruiters would take notice? I did go on to play for HM. Does Hill-Murray recruit? No. Why would they have to? When you build a successful program, there is no need to recruit.

Some of the reasons a school like HM would attract students away from the closest public school:

--Catholic faith-based education
--Hill-Murray's enrollment for grades 8-12: approx 1,000 students
--Student/Teacher ratio: 14:1
--Academics: Cited by ACT as one of 382 schools nationwide for rigorous coursework
--Athletics: State Hockey Champs (again)

How do you like me now?

Anyway, I'm rather ecstatic the Pioneers are State Champs again, and glad Woodbury's hockey program is flourishing. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment