Wednesday, April 13, 2005

They Shoot Cats, Don't They?

They're talking about cat hunting next door:

Although Wisconsin residents have voiced their support for a plan to legalize wild cat hunting, some legislators and cat lovers say they will continue their fight.

The proposal would allow licensed hunters to kill free-roaming cats, including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar, just like skunks or gophers - something the Humane Society of the United States has described as cruel and archaic.


I imagine if this plan were ever to become law, there'd be a lot of discarded collars found throughout Wisconsin. "I swear it wasn't wearing a collar when I shot it officer."

As anyone who has ever "owned" a cat can attest to, there is no such thing as "under the owner's direct control" when it comes to felines. They're not real big on the whole command and control concept.

But despite my affinity for cats, I think I could come around on the idea of cat hunting. As long as a similar provision were put in place that would allow me to pick off any whining, nippy little dogs that happen to be wandering my neighborhood collarless, just like rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment