Monday, December 03, 2007

Da, It's Cold Enough For Me!

After spending most of my life in Minnesota (and doing some time in Grand Forks), I consider myself pretty hearty when in comes to colder climes. I can spend hours outside in heart of the Minnesota winter and--unless the temps or windchill dip well below zero--think nothing of it.

I thought I knew cold. But I had never experienced Moscow cold until this weekend. Believe me, it's an entirely different type of cold.

Minnesota can be cold. But usually it's a crisp, dry cold. In the Moscow it's a damp, bone-chilling cold that eats through whatever layers of protective clothing you're wearing and leaves a layer of deep frost on your vital organs.

It's also a subtle cold. It doesn't hit you at first like a sub-zero Arctic blast does. It's a creeping, gradual assault that really starts kicking in after a half-hour or so. After an hour, you're chilled to the core and you won't warm up by ducking inside for a quick warm-up either.

You need a prolonged period in the warmth before your insides begin to thaw. Even then the occasional chill will shoot through your body like a bolt to remind you of the beast that lurks outside. Muscovites know cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment