Thursday, December 21, 2006

Cancel My One O'Clock, I Need To Adopt A Baby

At the very end of a story in yesterday's Wall Street Journal on China's new adoption rules (crazy, fat, poor, and single people no longer need apply) is this little nugget:

Chavonne Yee, who is single, has long wanted to adopt from China and has already completed many of the requirements. But when the 41-year-old Chicago resident learned last week from her adoption agency that China may bar singles, she decided to consider adopting a special-needs child, which would allow her to complete the adoption more quickly before the rules kick in. "I'm concerned that if they've made these restrictions now, they could change again," says Ms. Yee, who is a business development manager at Texas Instruments.

While I respect Ms. Yee's willingness to consider adopting a special needs baby (although I'm not sure if that willingness is motivated more by compassion or desperation), I find the very idea of a single, forty-something career woman adopting any child rather appalling. Isn't a cat good enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment