Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Walk On By

Anne from Parlin, New Jersey e-mails on the hazzards of mall shopping:

I can relate to your dislike of mall kiosks all too well. These days every other one of these hawks cell phones or cell phone accessories. Market oversaturation, anyone? I really despise when the people working at these places get in your way and ask if you want to take a survey or learn about whatever they're selling. No, if I'm interested, I'll walk over to you in the same way I'll walk into a store. I have a working set of eyes and ears and am aware of my surroundings. I'm too polite to say that to the kiosk employees, not to worry. My fiance and I have learned to walk through malls with focused expressions and a sense of purpose.

A standard kiosk gambit that I experienced once again yesterday is for the person running the stand to approach you as you walk by and innocently inquire, "Can I ask you a question?"

My standard reply is a quick "You already did" while staring straight ahead and picking up my pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment