Monday, February 05, 2007

Fly Away Home

Even when one is at the top of his game physically, the flight from Manila to Minneapolis (fifteen hours in the air plus layover time at Tokyo plus pre-flight at the airport in Manila) is not a pleasant experience. When one is suffering the ill effects of a serious cold, it can be a veritable hell. How bad was my return home yesterday?

So bad that I passed on my traditional layover beer at Narita.

So bad that the kindly Northwest flight attendant who brought me cups of hot tea throughout the Tokyo to Minneapolis flight was moved to ask, "Are you as miserable as you look?"

Inspecting myself later in the plane's bathroom mirror, I had to agree with her assessment. I looked like hell and yes, I felt like it too. It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment