Thursday, February 15, 2007

You Can Take The Mexican Out Of Mexico...

After spending a good chunk of my morning at the Mexican consulate in Saint Paul, I can say without equivocation that nothing that an average American experiences dealing with local, state, and national governments can compare to mind-numbing, soul-crushing bureaucracy and wasteful inefficiency of the Mexican government. Since 99% of the people waiting with me were Mexicans (all properly documented I'm sure), they didn't seem to mind as they have long been accustomed to spending wasting time in this particularly onerous circle of hell.

Meanwhile, I was on the verge of major meltdown which would have resulted in a profanity laced tirade that few in attendance would ever forget (assuming that they spoke enough English to understand) and possibly would have led to a reprise of the Mexican-American War. Thankfully, my prayers for patience were answered and a major international incident was avoided (although I believe the Doomsday Clock did inch a few seconds closer to midnight).

It was touch and go for a moment around 10:30am, when I had to fight the urge to reach over the counter and thrash the impudent clerk who advised me that I could either wait twenty more minutes or come back at 1pm. Having already spent more than an hour waiting for something that I had expected to be able to simply pick up, I was in no mood for the 'tude he was giving me. I informed him that I would wait twenty minutes, but if my items were not ready then I was going to have a word with his jefe.

I then stepped outside to cool my heels (and clear my head) and sure enough, when I returned fifteen minutes later, everything was in order. If I had to deal with this sort of indifferent incompetence on a daily basis, I'd probably make a run for the border too.

No comments:

Post a Comment