Monday, April 02, 2007

Straight Shootin'

Scott Jonson, the transformer who puts the power through the line, posts an e-mail with a pessimistic assessment on Iraq and draws our attention to nine-sixteenths, a mil-blogger in Iraq who's not afraid to shoot from the hip:

Before you write me off simply as a disgruntled soldier take a look at the rest of my blog. You'll see that I was, and still am, an ideological support of the war. I'm a college graduate who, having already completed eight years of active and inactive service, volunteered to come to Iraq. I still think removing Saddam was the right thing to do, and I don't disagree with the concept of nation building here in Iraq. What gets me is how badly we have run the reconstruction effort. How hard so many people work, and how much so many people sacrifice only to have their efforts squandered by incompetent generals and politicians. The stupid institutional mindset of the careerists in the army and DOD. The promotion of Gen Casey who reigned over this mess is just galling.

The cheerleading has made many conservative commentators, who I respect as intelligent individuals and who I have read for years, almost unreadable. The left is, and has been from the start, idiotic and incoherent on Iraq and I expect nothing better from them. The right though is doing itself no favors trying to be the good news fairies on Iraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment