Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Sun Sets Once And For All On The Union Jack

After we posted the Photoshopped Time magazine cover showing Winston Churchill shedding a tear over the present sad state of his once mighty Britain (thanks again Derek), we were subject to the usual relativistic critiques about not judging another until you walked a mile in their shoes. John Derbyshire has already thoroughly demolished this silly thinking here:

When it happened, I said I hoped the ones who'd shamed their country would be court-martialed on return to Blighty, and given dishonorable discharges after a couple years breaking rocks in the Outer Hebrides (which, believe me--I've been there--have a LOT of rocks). Now, I confess, I wouldn't shed a tear if some worse fate befell them.

The only coherent response I get to these sentiments is: "How do you know what they've been through? How would YOU stand up?" To which the obvious reply is the one Dr. Johnson gave in some similar case: "I may criticize a carpenter who makes me a bad table, though I cannot make a table myself. It is not my job to make tables." It is the job of a Royal Marine to fight, and if necessary suffer and die, for his country. They know that when they go in. It's what they are told! I nurse a quiet hope that if put to the test, I would stand up as well as any Marine. Whether or not I would, however, is irrelevant. Whether or not I could stand up well to torture, I expect Marines to.

And in any case, there was no evidence of torture or mistreatment in any of the filmed cases I have seen. They look just fine. You can't fake that. The girl sailor had that headscarf on within hours. From what I've heard of torture, even weaker cases can hold out for a few days.

As for the argument that these people might have buckled under threats to hurt their comrades, I should think a soldier's answer would be: "They are soldiers, same as me. They know the risks of service, and they'll answer for themselves."


Since I don't pretend to be able to say it any better, I won't rehash the same argument here. But for those who still don't think it's fair to judge the conduct of the British sailors and Marines, I offer you this:

Seaman Batchelor's claim that he cried himself to sleep after his Iranian captors likened him to the comedy character Mr Bean made him a laughing stock.

Now tell me that we can't judge this man's behavior. HE CRIED HIMSELF TO SLEEP AFTER THE IRANIANS TAUNTED HIM ABOUT LOOKING LIKE A COMEDY CHARACTER! If you can't say this guy is A FREAKIN' WUSS of the highest order, than I'd like to know what qualifies in your book.

He's in the British Navy. The Navy that defeated the Spanish Armada. The Navy of Admiral Nelson at Trafalgar. The Navy whose ships ruled the seas for hundreds of years. And now it's come to this?

It's bad enough that this guy would conduct himself in such a shameful manner, but it's even more telling that he would admit it. The feminization of Britain, politically, culturally, and now militarily appears to be nearly complete.

UPDATE-- E.J. e-mails to explain what really has happened to the Brits' stones:

Thank you ever so much for your exquisite rendering of Mr. Churchill's unhappy countenance regarding the sad state of affairs in the United Kingdom. This article may well help you better understand the matter, as we must do anything, anything at all for peace. Because once the radical, militant, blood-thirsty Islamic fanatics witness our determination to perfectly accommodate their every wish and desire, they will be overcome with compassion, lay down their weapons, and embrace us in the love and brotherhood of man. We will have found our salvation...

No sex please--we're eunuchs:

What does it take for a healthy man to choose to have his testicles removed? Roger Davies is one of a surprising number who have found salvation in castration.

Like many sensitive teenagers, Roger Davies felt different from his peers. He wasn't into sport and abhorred the aggression he saw in other boys. When, at the age of 22, he still hadn't grown out of his sense of isolation, he took radical action: he travelled to America and underwent castration.

"I'm really happy with who I am now," says the 25-year-old cleaner and caterer from Southport. "I don't have any desire to be accepted as a woman or change genders. I just didn't like my masculinity."

Roger is not the only British eunuch.

Really? The story goes on to say that Roger only cries himself to sleep about once a week now and is seriously considering joining the Royal Navy.

1 comment: