Tuesday, October 16, 2007

All My Rowdy Friends

Mark Yost--fresh from issuing a fatwa against the Mall of America--writes about the boorish behavior of football fans in today's Wall Street Journal (free for all!):

The other reason is tailgating. While television cooking shows tend to focus on the food, walk through most NFL stadium parking lots and the clear focus is on alcohol. And lots of it.

"The Twins fans come in and have one or two beers," said Marty Neumann, manager of The Little Wagon, a sports bar near Minneapolis's Metrodome. "The Vikings fans come in and have 10."


Hey, I know that dude. Although in the interest of accuracy, I believe the last name should be "Newton."

Surprisingly enough, Yost doesn't mention Packer fans in his story. A couple of them have sobered enough to drop me e-mails though.

Jack starts the crack back:

I enjoy your site. I'm a Packer fan. I'll try not to be too obnoxious.

First of all, isn't Longwell great? He's a genius as well. Kicks outdoors for the Pack for 9 years and then moves into a dome. He'll still be kicking when I retire. He'll win you 10 games easily.

Peterson is impressive, no doubt. He's gonna be a pain in the Packers butt for several years to come. But you almost lost that game. Geez! You're gonna have to put more on the field than him or he's just gonna be another Barry Sanders running in a backfield with Eric Hipple or Scott Mitchell. You should worry more about your front office trading Adrian to Dallas (couldn't resist). We've already beaten you guys once this year and we beat another team (SD) with a decent running back (LT).

Yes, the Packers LOST to the Bears. It was embarrassing. We played a miserable second half. But did you think we were going to go 16-0? These things happen. If you're 5-1 you can dismiss it. If you're 2-3 then maybe you're sharpening the razor blade.

You are correct. The Packers need a running game...........just as soon as we play someone that can stop our passing game, which hasn't happened yet. It's not how I would draw it up. But I can't argue with the results.

At this point I really can't tell you why we drafted Justin Harrell. I'm sure he'll be useful someday. But right now, we're so deep on the defensive line, he's lucky if we even activate him on game day. That Jones kid we took in the 3rd round scored a touchdown against the Vikings. He's working out really well.

Thanks, I am enjoying our 5-1 start. Fluky? Maybe. But the alternative is losing and losing sucks. Yes, we have an aging football legend at quarterback who will require the construction of an additional wing at the hall of fame in Canton when he eventually retires. I'll take him over the last 10 Vikings quarterbacks combined. He's so great they're going to retire his Falcons jersey. And I've got Aaron Rodgers sitting on the bench just waiting for his chance. We're not even carrying a third quarterback right now.

See you November 11th. You'll likely win that game because neither team ever sweeps the season series.


Actually the Packers did win both games against the Vikings last year, which gave the Vikings the opportunity to draft Peterson.

Wright from Minneapolis also checks in:

Adrian Peterson certainly had a good game against Chicago, and he looks like the real deal. That could be bad news for Packer (and Chicago and Detroit fans) but let's keep a little perspective. He's played how many games now? I recall when Herschel Walker had a great debut against the Pack, and was hailed as the 2nd coming personified. How did that work out for you?

I always enjoy a Packer win (and a Vikings loss) but I don't get too up or down either way like I used to. I figure those guys don't care what kind of week I had - I'm not going to lose any sleep over theirs. I have enough stuff that's within my control to worry about. But one thing I learned a long time ago was not to hang my hat on predictions of how well my heroes were going to perform on the field (or how poorly their opponents were.) A fine wine can turn suddenly into a fine whine, and it doesn't taste too good, especially when it's mixed with all those black feathers.


Gotta like the crow eating reference. But mentioning Walker was really a low blow. He then turns to politics:

PS I am in agreement with your assessment of the political landscape in your post ' MN OB IN '08'. Wish it weren't so, but I don't recall going into an election with this much dread before. All ain't lost, but it sure doesn't look good. I blame Trent Lott, Ted Stevens, Don Young, et al and their slobbery porky ways for absolutely turning off the conservative base. I think the difference between conservatives and liberals is the conservatives generally hold their representatives to something of a standard. For dems, it's any means necessary.

Just win baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment