Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky

Tim e-mails from Colorado:

I am currently downing coffee at regular intervals as I try to emerge from a semi-self induced fog; I was at the Padres-Rockies game last night. I'm a faithful Rockies fan, and it hasn't been easy the last few years. The memorable Rockies games have had long stretches of miserably forgetful games between. But last night's was a gem and went a long ways towards dulling the pain of the last few seasons.

So I am hereby offering the FL crew a chance to join the Rockies bandwagon. I know the Twins faded shortly after the all-star break, and the Vikings have yet to give you any hope that this is their year (Was that the same Favre from the last couple of seasons? I don't know if Favre was really that good or if the Vikings just made him look like he was that good.). This is not just a chance to jump on the bandwagon; I'm extending you a chance to walk on with your head held high as my invited guest. If you decide to wait until you see how the Rockies fare against the Phillies, I'm not sure I can convince the Rockies Nation to let you on.


Last night, I was flipping back and forth between the Rockies-Padres game and Monday Night Football. The baseball game was compelling, but, as a Vikings fan, there was also a bittersweet attraction in watching Randy Moss continue his insane year (four 100 yard-plus games and seven touchdowns so far). Eventually sleep beckoned and I ended up bailing on the ball game after the 10th, missing the dramatic finish.

JB told me that Matt Holliday should have been called out and video (link on right of page) confirms it. His slide was one of the ugliest of all time and he's lucky that the ump missed the call.

But that's the way she goes. The Rockies are moving on and the Padres are going home. Normally if the Twins were not in the playoffs, I would cast my playoff lot with an American League squad. However, the choices this year are not good:

Red Sox? No.

Angels? No.

Yankees? No.

Indians? Yeah, right.

I can't speak for the rest of the gents here, but you may consider me officially on the Rockies 'wagon.

SP CLIMBS ABOARD: I'm ready to hit the Rocky Road! I see their roster includes no fewer than four former Twins: Latroy Hawkins, Ramon Ortiz, Mark Redman and Dan Serafini. True, none of these guys were misseed in their departure. But it's nice to see our rejects going forth and giving hope to other fans.

An appreciation of history demands that I also root for a Cubs-Yankees World Series. The two greatest cities in the US, two great stadiums, and two bloated collections of free agent All-Stars would make for some great October viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment