Friday, October 26, 2007

Fair Weather In Boston

David Harsanyi has some serious concerns about Rudy Giuliani's credibility:

Well, now I have serious doubts about Rudy Giuliani. How anyone can trust him with grand issues of our time when he can't even get simple baseball fan guidelines right? We've all heard about Hillary's "I've always been a Yankee fan" nonsense. It's frequently repeated because it tells us something deeper about her character. How you conduct yourself as a sports fan tells us plenty about you. And this tells us that Giuliani is clueless or a depraved panderer--or worse: not a real Yankees fan.

"I'm rooting for the Red Sox," Giuliani, owner of four Yank World Series rings, declared during a campaign event in a Boston restaurant, prompting thunderous applause.

"I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team--maybe with exception of the Mets," he said. "Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn't, because I'm loyal to New York."

This is indeed troubling. A real Vikings fan cannot root for the Packers. A real Gopher hockey fan cannot root for the Badgers (I know because I tried a couple of years ago when they were in the NCAA title game. As much as I wanted the WCHA to win another national championship, watching Wisconsin do it made me sick to my stomach.) And a real Yankee fan cannot--under any circumstances--every root for the Red Sox. Shameless pandering at its worst.

1 comment: