Friday, June 20, 2003

Cautiously Optimistic On Iran

Here are some comments from a gentleman that I play hockey with who was born in Iran but fled with his family after the 1979 Islamic revolution:

It's been exciting seeing what's happening in Iran the last few weeks. One of my uncles is still living there and I have a few close friends that keep me posted by e-mail. I have Persian satellite TV, so I've been catching most of the action that way. It would be nice if this transition to democracy could occur more gracefully (like eastern Europe), but I'm afraid the Mullahs will not give up the power that easily and they'll shed blood without giving it a second thought. (You've gotta remember these people have been milking an oil rich nation for 24 years and have gotten filthy rich as a result) Incidentally, back in 1979 the Shah ordered the military not to open fire on the people, which in effect allowed that revolution to move forward.

I just wonder if the students will have enough staying power to withstand all the punishment they'll get from the hardliners. I've heard reports that many of the hardliners goons are not even Persian, but have been imported from the other fanatic Arab groups, to control the students/protestors - since they wouldn't feel any sympathy for the protestors.

As much as I'd want this transition to be legitimate and by the people for the people, I don't think they have the basic tools to accomplish this, which is why I wouldn't mind perhaps a push from the US or International community to help achieve this end. Hell it wouldn't be the first time the US has gotten involved in other countries, except this time the majority of the people would actually welcome it.



No comments:

Post a Comment