Monday, June 09, 2003

Fish Bite Moonbeams Every Night

I hadn’t thought much about attending the Dixie Chicks show on Saturday. Yes, I bought and thoroughly enjoyed their latest CD Home. Yes, I find them to be extraordinary talents and yes, I find them all quite fetching (especially as I like to call her, “The little one”). But paying 75 bucks to see them in a hockey arena?

I didn’t see it happening.

But when a friend mentioned that it might be worth it to head down to West 7th to see what the ticket scene was like, I agreed. If nothing else, I thought, at least there would be a nice supply of lovelies out and about.

We got down to Tom “Rash” Reid’s and it was like stepping into some kind of alternate universe where 80% of the inhabitants are young, attractive women drinking copious amounts of alcohol. That’s my kind of universe.

As we began our way to get a drink, my accomplice noticed someone he used to work with. Hugs were exchanged, how-are-you-doings were bantered and the booze began to flow. Within minutes we had a line on two good seats for LESS than face value. Score.

As I stood taking in the scenery, I began to notice a strange feeling. No, I’m not talking about the three rail pour tequilas I had thrown down or the Buds, this was something different. A feeling of relaxation, of ease--and I couldn’t stop smiling. It had to be the pheromones doing their magic on my system and the place was simply lousy with it.

After a few more rounds and a few more ridiculous flirty conversations (at one point a gal told me she had the same furniture as Mad About You. “Funny,” I said, “I have the same hairpiece as Paul Riser.”)

By the time we got to the arena, Joan Osbourne had already done her thing and after a few minutes, my girls took the stage to thunderous applause.

Natalie, as one of my friends put it, has “Babed-out”. Noticeably thinner, sporting a Pink-like do, a damn tight and short mini skirt and boundless energy, she delivered song after song with utter personality, complete conviction and serious soul.

The stage was four sided, with Nat singing at a different mike on each number. So everyone got a chance to see their fave Chik upfront like and close. Long Time Gone was especially raucus and I got chills when Nat hit that incredibly high note.

Martie and Emily were their usual gorgeous, smiley selves, kicking the crap out of their instruments (especially on the instrumental Lil’ Jack Slade), singing angelic harmonies and strutting about in their leather pants. Phew.

The Patty Griffith-penned Truth No. 2 was a beautiful standout as well:

Swing me way down south
Sing me something brave from your mouth
And I’ll bring you
Pearls of water on my hips
And the love in my lips
All the love from my lips


That hit this cynic right about where I live. Then when I thought it couldn’t get any more poignant, Nat perched her precious little self up on a stool on a small rotating stage and began the heartfelt and incredibly moving Godspeed--a song from mother to child:

Dragon tales and the “water is wide”
Pirate’s sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you
Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
My love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet Dreams


In the hands of a lesser talent, this could have been schmaltz. In the hands of the Nat, it was pure bliss and I’m just glad the Xcel was dark enough that I could hide the evidence of what I was feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment