Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pop! Goes The Weasel

Last Saturday, I made note of the fact that St. Louis Park, the city where I reside and pay taxes, was sponsoring a showing (actually two) of "An Inconvenient Truth" at the local nature center. Rather than just sitting back and taking it, I decided the time had come to act.

I fired off e-mails to my city council person, the two at-large city council members, and the mayor of St. Louis Park expressing my disgust with the city's decision to support such a blatantly partisan project. If they insisted on showing Gore's film, I asked that they at least give equal time for a presentation offering a dissenting view on climate change.

So far, I have received one response.

Thanks for the note. I have not seen the movie (although I think it won an
Oscar) so it makes it hard for me to comment on it. The recent vision process the city just engaged in did find environmental concerns and initiaitives to be top of mind. And, while not knowing the movie, it is always good to have healthy, respectful debates on issues that affect us. I will forward your concerns onto the city manager and the program staff at the nature center.


For obvious reasons, I am not going to disclose the identity of the official who responded. Needless to say, I am less than satisfied with this mealy-mouthed, weasely ducking of the issue. This is by no means over.

No comments:

Post a Comment