Thursday, March 15, 2007

State Of Hockey, Not Stickball

The WCHA Final Five kicks off tonight, so it's time for my annual college hockey prognosticating. Sometimes the crystal ball is quite clear, as it was a few years ago when I picked nearly every game of the WCHA Final Five and NCAA tournament correctly. Sometimes things are a bit foggier, like last year when I picked the Gophers to hoist the Crusaders on their own Holy Cross. Ouch, that one still hurts.

Let's get down to business:

* Fans attending tonight's game between Wisconsin and Michigan Tech should be sure to down several cups of coffee before the contest. I see a real snoozefest a comin'. A tight game that could go either will go to the Huskies 2-1.

* The WCHA team that I think is playing the best hockey right now is the extremely politically incorrect University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. They shouldn't have too much trouble putting SCSU down 5-3 in the Friday semi.

* I have no confidence in this Gopher squad and their silly hair-dyeing ways. Shaky goaltending and a young team does not usually get you far in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked in the Gophers fell on Friday, but I gotta think that they should have enough to get past Tech 4-3 in the other semi.

* That sets up a UND-Minnesota final. The Sioux dominated the Gophers in a late-season sweep at Mariucci and I think they will do the same on Saturday, something along the lines of 4-2.

My NCCA tourney picks will come out after the seedings are announced.

I do want to note that Mark Yost, "pride" of Brooklyn, is picking a St. Cloud State--Wisconsin final. We'll see who has the true hockey cred after this weekend.

UPDATE: Round one to Mr. Yost.

No comments:

Post a Comment