Monday, April 07, 2003

Finding Our Lost Sheep

Long time reader Rick from the Golden State weighs in on the Private Lynch rescue:

I find it interesting that we used elements of all branches of the service to free this private, but then I realized how amazing it is that we all just accept the fact that we sent our best assets to rescue a private. We value life so much in this country that we endanger the lives of trained professionals worth 100X what they are looking for, and we just shrug because of the inbred understanding that we leave no one behind. That we know that 'they' would come for us, so we come for them. That is who we are as Americans. I'm instantly reminded of the parable of the lost sheep.

Risking everything, we search to rescue our little lost sheep, our little female Radar O'Reilley, who when confronted with a chance to weep, instead perhaps emboldened by her journey rises to the occasion and boldly proclaims, "I am an American soldier, too".

Working at an University as I do, I've come to some dark conclusions of the type of citizenry we've been raising. I think it's time for me to take another look around.


No comments:

Post a Comment