Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Nothing Personal

A quick example for you on why The Code: The Unwritten Rules Of Fighting And Retaliation In The NHL is such a great read. This is Rob Ray talking about fighting friends:

My best friend in hockey, Matthew Barnaby, I fought him three different times. We even went into business after I retired, and we own a construction company together up here in Buffalo. Once I knocked four of his teeth out. I will never forget it. He had been traded away to Pittsburgh, and during a game one time he was just running his mouth and he wouldn't stop yapping at our coach Lindy Ruff. I was just praying in the back of my mind that he would shut up before anything happened, but he didn't. So, sure enough, Lindy had finally had enough and he sent me out there after him. Hey, you can't disobey your coach in those situations, so I had to go out and fight him. I was actually really pissed at Barney because he knew that if he kept running his mouth the way he was that something was eventually going to have to happen. He just laughed about it afterward, but I thought his wife was going to kill the both of us.

During his playing days, Rob Ray was one of the toughest guys in the NHL. He knocks out four of his friend's teeth durng a fight and what is he afraid of? His friend's wife. Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment