Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Freak (or fan) of Nature

This morning in Minnesota it's clear, sunny, and twenty degrees above zero. And I love it. I love this kind of weather. Brisk, sharp, crisp. However you choose to describe it there is something about days like this that makes me feel alive. Maybe it's my roots stemming from here in the sometimes frigid Upper Midwest. When we were kids cold weather never prevented us from outdoor activities be it play or work.

And on the subject of work I believe one of the reasons for the fabled "work ethic" of folks from this area (which by the way is rapidly disappearing based on my retail experiences in the last few years) is that in times gone by hard work was not an option because of the climate. If you didn't get out and chop enough firewood to last the long winter you'd end up frozen stiffer than Al Gore and they wouldn't even be able to bury you till the Spring thaw (usually sometime in June). Sort of a culling of the herd by Ol' Man Winter. Today those of us whose ancestors survived still have a spark of this self preservation instinct remaining and that's what drives us to get up and go to work (or maybe it's the T1 internet connection that allows for much faster surfing).

Another reason for my love of days like this is that if you listen closely you can almost hear the ice thickening. The ice on the local lakes that is. The ice that, if we get a couple of more cold days and no snow, will be ideal for skating. Those of you who have never glided across the clear, smooth ice of a frozen lake with the sun reflecting off it and warming your face have not experienced one of life's simple yet joyous pleasures. Call me a freak but I'm a fan of this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment