Monday, November 25, 2002

Whooo Would Want To Spend A Night With The Owls?

After reading a story in Sunday's Minneapolis Star Tribune on the The Flops, a band composed of former Trip Shakespeare members John Munson (now of Semisonic fame) and Matt Wilson, and seeing that they were playing this Friday at the noted Minneapolis night club First Avenue I was thinking I might be making some plans for the show. But then I noticed that the Owls were opening for them. The friggin' Owls. I saw the Owls last year at a performance by Matt's brother Dan Wilson and was moved to write about the show in a piece called Artists? Hate em' . Here's a quick excerpt on the Owls:

The Owls? What the fug?

They begin playing and the situation goes from bad to intolerable. The group features two guys who exude as much masculinity as eunuchs and two broads who look like music students from Macalestar.

Stage presence? Zero.

My dreaming of John Belushi smashing your guitar to pieces factor? Infinitely high.

In a cute little twist the Owls switch instruments between each song.

See I played the drums on that song now I play the guitar. Aren't we all incredibly talented? No you're all incredibly annoying and none of you is truly proficient at anything.

Egalitarianism aside wouldn't it be better if the one who was the best guitar player would play the guitar, if the best drummer would drum, and if the best singer would sing? Now I'm not against a guy or gal picking up a different instrument from time to time or having someone other than the lead singer doing a song. But when you rotate on each and every song it's pretentious BS. We had to suffer these fools for over thirty minutes.


I still may go see the Flops on Friday. But I will not subject myself to the Owls again. A man can only take so much in one lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment