Monday, November 04, 2002

Fritz Krieg or Sitz Krieg?

This morning the intersections and overpasses of St. Paul and points east have been littered with DFL activitsts waving signs and attempting to raise a ruckus for their candidates. In my commute in to work this morning I encountered people at Lexington and Summit, Lexington and I-94, at serveral over passes on I-94 and 694 heading east to Stillwater. At some of the unmanned overpasses, pro-Mondale signs had already been posted. (My impression is that creating such distractions on an interstate highway must be illegal - and if not, it should be.)

I just got back from running some errands in downtown Stillwater and I spied an odd coaltion of elderly and counter-culture types (whose only common characteristic must be unemployment) positioned on Main Street, all holding up Mondale signs and generally trying to appear happy and motivated. From my memory, I've never seen a "get out the vote" campaign rise to this level. The Democrats understand how close the Senate race is going to be, and to their credit, they're not going to lose it through a lack of effort. If only the GOP had more adherents sitting around with nothing to do on a Monday morning/afternoon - I'm sure they'd match them.

No comments:

Post a Comment