Monday, November 11, 2002

Stylin' But Not Profilin'

I have to admit that I was felt reassurred when I noticed the TSA officiers in their spanky new white uniforms manning the security checkpoints at the airport yesterday. When the plan to make the airport security screeners federal employees was proposed last year I wasn't too crazy about it. Overpaid union workers in a bloated bureacracy? Yeah, we need more of that. But these guys and gals seem to be somehwhat organizied, have a glint of intelligence in their eyes, and appear to actually give a damn. None of which could be said about their living dead red blazer wearing predessors.

My only qualm with the TSA was when I was singled out to be searched at the gate in Houston. Not that I had a problem with their choice. I'm a male between eighteen and forty five and I sport a beard. I should ALWAYS be one of the first passengers that take a closer look at. No, the problem was the officiers who patted me down and rifled through my bag were too damn nice. I suppose they've taken a lot of crap from irate passengers who resent being searched and so they go out of their to reassure you that "it will only take a second" and "you'll be on your way in no time." They also were smiling and joking almost the whole time as if we both knew that this was just an absurd little game that we were playing. When it comes to airport security I don't want nice. I want ruthless efficiency. I want the kind of hardass who stares intently at you just to see if you crack. A modicum of fear ain't a bad thing. A little more nasty. A little less nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment