Thursday, January 26, 2006

God Save The Queen

Compared to what's going down with the Liberal Party in Britain, the Jack Abramoff brouhaha seems rather tame. U.K. party hit by sex, lying and alcohol scandals:

Liberal Democrat leadership contender Simon Hughes acknowledged on Thursday he had had homosexual relationships, after twice having denied to newspapers that he was gay.

"I am perfectly willing to say that I have had both homosexual and heterosexual relationships in the past," party president Hughes, 54, told the Sun.

"I hope that does not disqualify me from doing a good job in public life and I propose to carry on doing that with the usual enthusiasm and determination," he told the tabloid.


A little of the ol' usual enthusiasm and determination. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. Know wot I mean?

Last weekend, Mark Oaten, another one-time leadership candidate, quit as Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman after revelations of a relationship with a male prostitute.

Hughes' announcement was the third major blow in the space of a month for the party.


Something tells me the writer had to be smirking when scribbling that last line.

Earlier in January, party leader Charles Kennedy resigned after admitting a drinking problem he had previously denied.

At least no one can accuse the Liberal Party of not living up to their name.

Hughes' acknowledgement of his homosexual past came just a week after he had denied being gay to The Independent newspaper.

In an interview with the British Broadcasting Corp. on Thursday, Hughes said he was sorry for his comments to the newspaper.

"I apologize if misled people, I apologize if I unintentionally gave the wrong impression. ...I had relations with women and men so stereotyping and pigeon-holing is not actually that easy," the MP said.


Indeed. It is apparent that pigeon-holing Mr. Hughes is not easy at all. Hail Britannia.

No comments:

Post a Comment