Friday, July 07, 2006

A Dram A Day--The Last Full Measure

In anticipation of TONIGHT'S spectacular Scotch tasting event at Keegan's Pub in Minneapolis (7pm), I thought I'd whet your appetite with the FINAL preview of a pair of the fine selections of whisky that we'll be enjoying.

Today, we finish with Mr. Jackson's reviews of Clynelish:

Region: Highlands
District: North Highlands

Color - Pale gold.
Nose - Sea, perhaps seaweed, and peat.
Body - Medium to full, smooth. Visibly oily.
Palate - Starts malty (sweetish when water is added), becoming fruity-spicy (mustard?), with notes of seaweed and salt.
Finish - Remarkable, lingering spiciness. Stays very fresh with a, with an emphatic mustard flavor. Reminiscent of mustard and cress. A tremendously appetizing malt.
Score - 81


And Dalwhinnie:

Region: Highlands
District: Speyside

Color - Bright gold.
Nose - Very aromatic, dry, faintly phenolic, lightly peaty.
Body - Firm, slightly oily.
Palate - Remarkably smooth, long-lasting flavour development. Aromatic, heather-honey notes give way to cut-grass, malty-sweetness, which intensifies to a sudden burst of peat.
Finish - A long crescendo.
Score - 76


We also have an e-mail from Doug on one of his favorite Scotch memories:

While Talisker is certainly is a good scotch. My vote is for the 15 year old (or older) Laphoraig. I well remember my first experience with it. It was in Long Beach CA and a friend of mine that went to Harvard and his English friend and classmate of his invited me out for a drink. His English friend, who had been the city manager of Hong Kong, offered to buy me a snifter which ended up being two. Shortly after that he managed to disappear and I was stuck with a substantial bar tab. (six drinks at $15.00 ea in 1988 plus tip wasn't a small tab) But the Laphoraig was so good I really didn't care. Well, I kind of did but it was still worth it.

I saw him one more time before I left Long Beach and asked him (in a teasing manner) about the bar tab. His answer was so disarming that it still brings a smile every time I thing about it. I quote "Sir, an English gentleman doesn't concern himself with such trivial matters" Needless to say I was still stuck with the bar tab.


Boy, he's a real bounder, isn't he?

We'll see you tonight at Keegan's.

No comments:

Post a Comment